- Access to the Virtual Event's cockpit
When creating a new event, instead of manually adding room categories via the UI, you can import room categories by uploading a .csv file. This is particularly useful when the event contains many categories.
You can also export a .csv from an existing event, without making changes, and easily import it to a new one. Doing this will help you if you are organizing a series of virtual events with the same/similar categories, or to add many categories easily at the same time.
Step-by-step guide - How to create and import a .csv for room categories from scratch
Step 1 - Create the .csv file for room categories
First of all, you will need to create a comma seperated values file (CSV). This file will need to adhering to the following pattern:
title, category url, background image url, gradient color (#hex), text color (#hex), hide title (true/false),enabled (true/false), and allow room creation by attendees (true/false).
- Open a .csv or text editor (e.g. Microsoft Excel)
- Copy and paste in your first row the following text (field headers):
Title,Category URL,Background Image URL,Gradient Color,Text Color,Hide Title,Enabled,Allow Room Creation By Attendees
- Every subsequent row will need to follow the same order and separate all information with a comma (,).
Additional Info on the Room Category fields set up
|title||Compulsory||The title of the category (which can be shown or hidden)|
|category url||Compulsory||Final URL part, the user sees on the category|
|Background Image URL||Optional||You can choose to add a background image, shown on the category list. Insert the URL of the image.|
|Gradient Color||Optional||You can add a gradient color to the background image (defaults to white)|
|Text Color||Optional||You can set up a specific #HEX color for the text (defaults to white).|
|Hide Title||Optional||TRUE if you want the category title to be hidden (defaults to False)|
|Enabled||Optional||TRUE if you want the category to be available and visible to the end-user (defaults to False)|
|Allow Room Creation By Attendees||Optional||TRUE if you want attendees to be able to create rooms within the category (defaults to False)|
Only title and category URL are compulsory. If you do not wish to add some optional elements and are happy with the default settings, just leave a blank space between the two commas in the corresponding row.
e.g. your third row could look like this:
- Save the .csv file (in csv comma separated format).
Step 2 - Import the .csv file for Room Categories
- Log-in to Virtual Events
- Go to the cockpit
- Select the corresponding event
- On the left menu navigation, go to "Operations"
- Click on the import button
- Drag and drop the .csv file you created on the previous step to the dashed area
- Check if the mapping is correct and confirm it (if you followed the order in your csv file as in this guide, no changes will be needed).
- You will see a confirmation window with all categories settings. You can pick separately the category you want to add or update (toggle on the last column). You can also see if a category/room already existed (status).
- Confirm by clicking on "import" button
Congratulations, your room categories are now available within the rooms section of your event!